Sure, we’re a long way from the ocean, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun in the water! See how much you know about our local rivers and lakes, then enjoy one! No peeking! Answers posted below.
1. From where does the Fox River originate?
a) Minnesota b) Ontario c) Wisconsin
2. Where does the Fox River end?
3. Name at least three local lakes/creeks in McHenry and Kane counties .
4. What are the three largest lakes in McHenry County?
5. What are the three largest lakes in Kane County?
6. Can you name three of the lakes in the Fox Chain O’Lakes?
7. What formed the above lakes?
a) Earthquakes b) The Civil Conservation Corps
c) Glaciers d) Large beavers
8. How many lakes comprise the Great Lakes?
a) Three b) Four c) Five d) Six
9. Name each of the Great Lakes.
10. Which of the Great Lakes is the largest freshwater lake in the world?
11. How does Lake Michigan compare in size to the other Great Lakes?
a) Second largest b) Third largest
c) Fourth largest d) Smallest
12. How many miles of Lake Michigan shoreline does Illinois have?
a) 13 b) 63 c) 103
13. Which of these is NOT a fish you would catch in the freshwater lakes of Illinois or Wisconsin?
a) Bluegill b) Northern pike c) Perch d) Flounder
14. What do boating licenses cost in Illinois?
15. The forward part of a boat is called:
a) Bow b) Stern c) Aft d) Keel
16. A sailor who refers to the “eye of the wind” is talking about:
a) A steady, horizontal motion of air along straight contours
b) The direction from which the true wind is blowing
c) A hit song by the rock band Survivor
d) A sudden increase in wind speed
17. In what state did the sport of water skiing develop?
a) California b) Wisconsin
c) Florida d) Minnesota
18. A charity regatta held at Crystal Lake Main Beach each June is unique because the boats are made of:
a) Plywood b) Styrofoam
c) Cardboard d) Legos
1. C, The Fox River originates in Wisconsin, near Waukesha, and flows SW for 185 miles.
2. The Fox River flows into the Illinois River near Ottawa, Ill.
3. If you named three of the following, you’re correct. McHenry Co.: Boone Creek, Coon Creek, Crystal Lake, Defiance Lake, Elizabeth Lake, Fox-Nippersink Lake, Grass Lake, Griswold Lake, Hollows W. Lake, Lac Louette, Lake Atwood, Lake in the Hills, Lake Killarney, Lawrence Creek, Lily Lake, McCullom Lake, Nippersink Creek, Piscasaw Creek, Piscasaw Lake, Pistakee Lake, Rush Creek, Silver Lake, Thunderbird Lake, Tomahawk Lake and Wilderness Lake. Kane Co.: Beverly Lake, Big Rock Creek, Blackberry Creek, Crabtree Lake, Ferson Creek, Jericho Lake, Lake Braewood, Lake Campton, Mastodon Lake, Mill Creek, Nelson Lake, Oakhurst Lake, Peck Lake, Pioneer Park Lake, Tyler Creek and Willow Lake.
4. Fox-Nippersink Lake is 2,120 acres followed by Pistakee (1,700) and Grass lakes (1,360).
5. Oakhurst (50 acres) followed by Jericho (40) and Mastadon (22).
6. Grass, Marie, Nippersink, Bluff, Fox, Pistakee, Channel, Petite, Catherine and Redhead.
7. C, Glaciers
8. C, there are five great lakes.
9. West to east: Michigan, Huron, Superior, Erie and Ontario.
10. Lake Superior, 160 miles wide in some places. It contains enough water to fill all of the other Great Lakes, plus three Lake Eries.
11.B, third largest
12. B, 63
13. D, flounder
14. $13 for commercially used kayaks/canoes to $107 for boats 40 feet and larger.
15. A, bow
16. B, the direction from which the true wind is blowing
17. D, In 1922, Ralph Samuelson fashioned his own water skis and successfully tried them out on Lake Pepin, at Lake City, Minn.
18. C, cardboard.